I’ve been reading a book recently, that I’m sure you will see on here soon, and this week has been really convicting about appreciating people and being thankful for others. We tend to make life so busy, and our focus falls to our to-do list and accomplishments rather than to the people around us. Yet, when it really comes down to it, those people in our life have helped make us who we are, and without them, we would be at a loss. I focused on romantic and family relationships in the last few weeks leading up to Valentine’s Day, but I’d like to encourage you to do something special for the people who have invested their time into you. I started off the month with the encouragement of proving your love from I John 3:18. Who can you demonstrate love and thankfulness to today, and how can you do it? Here are a few ideas:
- complete a task you know they have to do – pick up the kids, deliver something, grab their groceries, run an errand, etc.
- call them – just call them. Say hi. Tell them you love them.
- send them an SMS – even though text messaging is the cop out of calling, a sweet text can still really brighten someone’s day.
- notice something – thank them for something they did that was small, or that no one else may have noticed.
- compliment them – sincerely compliment them.
- ask and listen – ask them a question about their life, and really listen to the answer. Don’t offer solutions or suggestions, just listen and empathize.
- surprise them – show up to their work or home with a cup of coffee or a snack.
- stick something in the mailbox – leave a little message and gift in the mailbox, or on their desk, or somewhere where they will find it.
- pray for them – pray for them, and let them know you are praying for them.
God is love. Love is a beautiful aspect of God’s character, and we have the opportunity to demonstrate it here on earth. I hope you’ll take a moment to stop and choose someone to love today!