Love Song Friday!
hahaha . . . this one is for my Mom!!
Love Song Friday!
hahaha . . . this one is for my Mom!!
from Small Fry
Love Song Friday!!
So, my sweet husband posted for me yesterday so that I wouldn’t have a missed day. I love him. 🙂 The picture he posted was of my choice of sweet last week when he took me out for my birthday dinner.
Well, tonight I decided to bake something for Jeremy for Valentine’s Day, and I wanted something that he’d be able to take with him when he is traveling this weekend. So, I found a set of silicone mini muffin cups and a recipe that I have to say turned out pretty good!! Sorry I don’t have pictures of the muffins, but they did turn out quite nice and cute!!
I’m sharing the recipe with you here (in case you need a last minute gift for probably just about ANY guy!) but I found the original recipe HERE at Food.com.
Enjoy! Let me know what sweet treats your whipping up this week in the comments below!
Time: about 30/40 minutes
Servings: around 35 mini muffins
Oven Temp: set to 400° F or 200° C
2 cups flour
a handful or two of crumbled bacon (the recipe calls for 8 slices, but we use the pre-cooked, pre-crumbled salad bacon)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk (I used soy!)
1/2 cup oil
2/3 cup maple syrup (we don’t have maple syrup in Turkey, but I generally make syrup for pancakes by boiling together 1 c. white sugar, 1 c. brown sugar, and 1 c. water – and that worked great!!)
Now, here’s the tricky part. Mix together the dry ingredients (above the line) in one bowl. Mix the wet ingredients (below the line) in a second bowl. Mix the dry and the wet ingredients until the mixture is just moistened. Spoon into muffin cups (about 2/3 of the way full.) Because I was using the mini muffin cups, I set the timer for 10 minutes with 24 in, and then added 5 – so 15 minutes total. The second batch was only about 10 or so, so they only needed around 11 minutes. Just start with 10 minutes and keep an eye on them. A toothpick should come out clean when they are done.
Then . . . be careful, because the mini muffins are far too easy to just pop in your mouth, and before you know it 2 . . . or 6 are gone!!
Let me know what you think about this recipe!! It was definitely a hit for the both of us (I had to have one . . . or two to make sure they were worth giving!!)
Happy Valentine’s Eve!!
I have had an amazing week traveling, celebrating, enjoying life . . . And we have taken a lot of pictures!! I thought I’d share a few with you today, but also I wanted to share with you how you can doctor some photos for Valentine’s Day! PicMonkey is a free online photo editing tool that lets you edit photos, add text and stickers, and more! All of these pictures were edited using PicMonkey.
So, there are a lot of good love songs out there!! Every Friday of February I will be sharing a couple of my favorites with you! Let me know yours in the comments!
This is the hard one!! If you are looking for Valentine’s gift ideas for your wife or kids, please check my previous two posts, but if you’re looking for the guy, this is the place!! I find shopping for guys to be a relatively difficult task. They don’t just accumulate stuff like we girls do. They don’t want more jewelry or clothes, and they aren’t quite as enamored by pretty little things. So, what to do? Here are a few ideas of what to get for your guy.
1. An App – Does your guy have an iPhone or some mobile device? If so, you may be like Jeremy and I. We almost never pay for applications. But, that’s not to say there aren’t any cool ones out there. So, perhaps a good idea for Valentine’s Day is to splurge a little and buy him an app you know he will love. Some places to look around are in the sports, games, and photography sections of the app store.
2. A Subscription – This might be online or physical, but perhaps your guy would like a subscription to an interesting magazine or paper service. Valentine’s is a good time to encourage him in his interests and show him that you care about the things he enjoys.
3. Food – This doesn’t even warrant a place on this list, because it is the oldest advice ever!! Haha. Of course every guy loves food. So, how can you gift that to him? Well . . . bake him something; take him out to his favorite restaurant; buy a bunch of his favorite snacks; give him coupons for his favorite foods, and promise him you’ll make them when he asks; get him gift cards so that he can get his favorites without feeling guilty while working or out and about (a little gift card bouquet would be great for Valentine’s! Include one to his favorite gas station, coffee shop, dessert shop, fast food joint, and sit down restaurant.)
4. Little Things – While I said that girls are more into this than guys, I think that it is also possible to give guys a token that they will appreciate that demonstrates your love to them. Check out this guitar pick I found on etsy! I think it would be perfect for a musical guy (that one is actually sold, but the link above will take you to a full page of guitar picks that you can customize any way you want! They range from $9-$60). Here are a few other trinket ideas for guys:
5. Technology! – I don’t know about you, but the guys in my family love technology. Valentine’s Day isn’t always the best time to invest in some big technological item, but you could definitely give some related gifts that they would enjoy very much!
So, there are my ideas for you today. Hope they are helpful! I would love to hear your ideas down below!!
So, I shared my Gift Guide – Kids yesterday, so if you have little ones around, check it out!! Today, I want to share just a few ideas of gifts for the the girl in your life. I don’t have a slew of ideas, but just a few that are maybe not your average flowers, chocolate, and dinner date. Don’t spoil the surprise, but I’d love to hear what you are getting or got for the girl in your life in the comments below! In my opinion, Valentine’s Day isn’t about going big, it’s about demonstrating your thought, appreciation, and love of the special someone in your life. It doesn’t take an immensely expensive gift to make most girls happy, but prove to her that you have been thinking about her and wanting her, and she’ll be ecstatic.
1. I thought that this bracelet on Etsy was BEAUTIFUL. There are lots of jewelry options on etsy now that are customizable and just really pretty. I think having the initials on the bracelet would be super cool, if you ask me (and I’m a girl, by the way.) This bracelet is only $31 (and for you international readers, international shipping is pretty stinking cheap!) This is a good alternative to expensive diamond jewelry from a high-end jewelry store, and I bet that she would be just as happy. Here are a couple of other cheaper, thoughtful jewelry pieces to check out:
2. Take her shopping. Maybe you hate this, maybe you do it all the time. I don’t know. Jeremy took me shopping for Christmas, and it was so much fun. He gave me a set amount of money to spend . . . plus a “fun” stipend which meant we had to take coffee and ice cream breaks!!
3. Date kit: I mentioned before, Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be big, but it should be about spending time together and really enjoying each other, so make a date kit and then set aside a good time to use it together! Here are a few ideas:
4. Something Beautiful: Valentine’s Day is a good time to get something pretty for your girl that you wouldn’t normally just buy. Today, I saw the prettiest little stand mirror on someone’s desk, and I thought that it would make a really lovely gift for Valentine’s Day. Here’s another stand/vanity mirror at Urban Outfitters. Find something unique that will always remind her of the time that you picked it out for her. A few ideas are wall decor with a favorite quote, candles and a candle sleeve, a jewelry box, or a decorative bowl or plate to catch extra coins and keys – find something that she’ll see every day!
5. A Body Something – This is another good way to remind your girl that you think she’s beautiful. Pick out something that is either something you know she likes, but won’t splurge on, or something that is semi-luxurious for her body. Don’t buy foundation or face wash . . . those highlight imperfections. Pick out something that highlights what you love about her . . . lipstick, a pretty eyeshadow, nail polish, a hair accessory. Or, pick out something that gives her some relaxation like bath bombs, a body butter, a massage bar, or a body set.
So, for all you guys out there, get out and find something!! The ideas I’ve shared range from around $10-$100, so none of them should break the bank! Hope these help give you a little idea of where to go to show your girl you love her this Valentine’s!!
I know that not everyone gives gifts for Valentine’s Day. But, I do hope that whether you do or not, you take the opportunity to show the people you care about how much you love them. Love doesn’t always have to have a price tag and bows, but love should at times involve some form of sacrifice and giving. Today and the next couple of days, I want to share a few gift ideas for the people in your life. Now, I don’t have kids, but today I’m going to share a few ideas of gifts you can give to your kids to show your love on Valentine’s Day. Let me know your own ideas in the comments below!!
1. Coupon book: How many times have your kids been sent home with a coupon book for you from school or church? Well, why not use the same idea with them? I think some kids would be thrilled to know that you would give up half an hour to play with them, or help them clean their room. Here’s a few ideas of coupons to include for your kids:
2. Card/letter: My parents used to give me a Valentine with a note telling me what they loved about me, what things they appreciated, or ways they saw me growing. Those things always made me feel super special, and I cherished the letters for a very long time.
3. For girls – Flowers: Dads, bringing your daughter a rose, or a small bouquet of flowers means way more than you know! I remember when my Dad brought me flowers, it made me feel so special. That was usually reserved for Mom, and it was special for her even, so when my dad brought flowers home for me, it made me feel so grown up, loved, and special. Especially once your little girl is reaching pre-teen stage, something as little as flowers can make her feel like a princess.
4. Book: Books are magical. I hope that you can find a way to communicate that to your kids! Pick out a favorite of yours, or a brand new one to read together, or take them to the bookstore and let them pick one for Valentine’s Day. Make the day as much about spending time together as possible; let them know you love being with them.
5. Klutz books: When I was a kid, these were the coolest things. The Paper Flying Dragons (Klutz) one looks like it would be pretty awesome for boys, and I think that the Twirled Paper: Make Almost Anything With Simple Paper Strips (Klutz S.)
one is a great gift for girls!
6. Radio Theater: Here’s another great gift that my parents used to give to me. I was actually just thinking about it as I listened to several stories while grading end of semester exams! I love stories, and I love listening to them. Focus on the Family Radio Theater produces the best radio drama I have ever heard. There is a large selection of stories, including many classics like Les Miserables, Anne of Green Gables, Silas Marner, and others. My parents started giving these to me when I was around 12 or 13, and I still listen to them today.
7. An Event: This is yet another thing that my parents did with my sister and I, generally around report card time. They often took us to see a local play in a theater house. Other ideas could be to see a concert or sporting event, especially if those are things that interest your child. Harlem Globetrotters are always a good choice!!
Do you give gifts for Valentines? What other ways do you show your love to your kids? I’d love to hear your ideas!!
Do you decorate for Valentine’s Day? I’ve never gone all out or anything, but recently, I put two frames on our living room bar counter, and I’ve been enjoying changing out the pictures to fit the season. So, I decided that, just in case your also a free printable fanatic, I would share a few that I’ve found that are really beautiful. Hope you enjoying beautifying your home for a season of LOVEliness!!
There are a lot of other free printables out there, so feel free to leave links in the comment section. Also, check out my Pinterest Valentine’s Board where I’m collecting other printables as well as other Valentiney things!!